Go To Search
Click to Home

Estill
Estill Town HallTown History
(population 2,386; land area 12.5 square miles)

The Town of Estill was incorporated September 8, 1905. It was named in honor of Colonel James Holbrook Estill, President of Southbound Holdings Company. Southbound was a development company that worked as an adjunct of the Southbound Railroad. It was because of the promotional development by Southbound that Estill, of Savannah, Georgia was selected as the name for the town when it was incorporated.

The town began as a small community called Lawtonville. William (Billy) Cuyler Johnson, Jr. is known as the town's founder. He gave the railroad a 100-foot right-of-way through what is now known as the Town of Estill. He also donated 50 acres to locate the depot and station.

The town is located in the southwestern section of the county. Major highways through the town include Highway 321 and Highway 3.