Charles H. "Buddy" Phillips
Council chairmanTerm: Jan 2015 - Jan 2023
Charles H. “Buddy” Phillips, born in Hampton, South Carolina, attended Hampton Public Schools and graduated from Wade Hampton High School in 1956. He is married to Joanne Knopf Phillips who is a local artist and cosmetologist. They have two daughters, Jody and Missy; one grandson, Brooks; two granddaughters, Rumer and Reid and one great-grandson, Jake.
Mr. Phillips is a graduate of the following Colleges/Universities:
- Spartanburg Jr. College1958AA
- Newberry College1960BA
- University of South Carolina1976MAT
- The Citadel1981Ed. S.
- Worked for Pan American Airlines
onSan Salvador (British West Indies)
- 1960 – 1961 (NASA PROJECT)
- Taught in Duval County Schools in Jacksonville, Florida (1961-1963)
- Taught in Jasper County Schools (Grays) 1963-1965
- Principal, Fennell Elementary School in Yemassee
,S. C. (1966-1968)
- Headmaster, Patrick Henry Academy in Furman, S. C.(1966-1968)
- Principal, Fennell Elementary School(1968-1979)
- Superintendent, Hampton School District One (1979 until retirement in 2003)
- Mayor, Hampton (1976-1979)
- Appointed to State Board of Education in 1989 and was elected chairman in
- Named South Carolina’s State Superintendent of the Year for 2003.
- Presently working with the University of South Carolina Salkehatchie in
- Allendale and Walterboro as Interim Director of Undergraduate Education
Elected in 2006, Mr. Phillips is serving his fourth term on County Council. Mr. Phillips will be Hampton County Council’s Representative on the Lowcountry Council of Governments (LCOG) Board. Mr. Phillips serves as the Treasurer on the Southern Carolina Alliance Board.